Broccoli is a type of edible green plant that belongs to the cabbage family (Brassicaceae). It’s one of the most common vegetables found around the world, and people use it in various cuisines. This cruciferous vegetable is a nutritional powerhouse. You get vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants, literally every health beneficial component you wish to have on your daily diet.
There’s more broccoli is a natural-acting detox ingredient that is rich in iron. So, to achieve the daily recommended dose of iron, you can add broccoli to your daily diet. Not only iron, but broccoli also delivers a handful of nutrients and powerful antioxidants to your daily value percentage.
However, its grassy and earthy flavor is not likable by many. Therefore, juicing broccoli is a great idea to achieve the most out of this vegetable. Broccoli juice is simple and easy to make. It doesn’t need a lot of sophisticated ingredients to make it taste better. We will discuss the procedure. But first –
Why should you juice broccoli in the first place?
Broccoli is a nutrient-rich green vegetable. It’s loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other beneficial bioactive compounds. One cup or 91 grams of raw broccoli contain –
6 grams of carbs
2.6 grams of protein
0.3 grams of fat
Vitamin C with 135% of the RDI (*Recommended dietary intake)
Vitamin K with 116% of the RDI
Vitamin A with 11% of the RDI
Vitamin B9/ Folate with 14% of the RDI
Potassium with 8% of the RDI
Phosphorus with 6% of the RDI
All these nutrient elements are extremely important for maintaining a sound body. However, different cooking methods like boiling, stir-frying, and steaming may alter broccoli’s nutrient composition, mainly reducing Vitamin C, soluble protein, and sugar. Furthermore, juicing broccoli may reduce some fiber content but maintains all its initial natural nutrient values.
The daily consumption of sufficient amounts of broccoli juice helps you get enough potent antioxidants that may support your healthy cells and tissues throughout the body.
Broccoli juice also helps to reduce inflammation in your body with its bioactive compounds. These elements show a high anti-inflammatory effect and work well with your body’s tissue.
The significant amounts of antioxidants and fiber in broccoli may aid diabetes and control blood sugar. Research shows higher consumption of dietary fiber may help lower blood sugar and improve diabetic control.
In addition to all of these health advantages, broccoli promotes heart health by reducing LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Moreover, researchers stated that some specific antioxidants in broccoli may reduce the chances of a heart attack.
Broccoli also delivers a handful of Vitamin C that is beneficial for your immune function. Basically, a daily intake of 100 to 200 mg of Vitamin C is sufficient to prevent certain conditions like environmental oxidative stress and potential tissue damage. By consuming a decent amount of broccoli juice regularly can increase the Vitamin C levels in your body.
How can you prepare fresh broccoli juice?
Juicing broccoli is quite simple. You can only juice broccoli with some sweeteners, or you can add other ingredients like orange, apple, cucumber, celery, and spinach to your broccoli juice recipe and increase the flavor with nutrition values. Check out these five creative methods to produce fresh, nutritious broccoli juice.
To begin with the process –
Wash all your ingredients well with clean water
Chop them into small sections. Also, remove the skin if necessary.
Broccoli spinach cucumber juice
You will need –
|Ginger root||1/2 inch|
|Mini cucumbers (6”)||Two|
- Just insert all your chopped ingredients into a juicer feed chute and juice until smooth. You can start juicing with one apple first then go for spinach, mini cucumbers, and broccoli. Lastly, add ginger root and the remaining apple to finish the juicing process. This juicing order basically helps to keep things moving and avoid clumps of pulp forming in your juice.
- After juicing all of your ingredients, give it a good stir.
- Finally, serve your juice in a glass and add some ice to give it a chill flavor.
Green goddess juice: Broccoli, pineapple, cucumber
You will need –
|Pineapple (cut into small chunks)||2 cups|
|Broccoli (Cut into chunks)||1½ cups|
|Large cucumber (sliced)||one|
|Fresh spinach||Three of them|
|Lemon juice||1 cup|
- Place all your washed and chopped ingredients into a juicer feed chute except the lemon juice.
- Then juice until you get a preferred consistency.
- Finally, add the reserved lemon juice and serve it in a glass with some ice cubes. Enjoy!
Apple, broccoli, and lemon juice
You will need –
|Large granny smith apples (unpeeled, cored, and chopped into quarters)||Four of them|
|Broccoli florets||One cup or 85 g|
|Lemon (skin and rind removed)||One|
- Mix all of the ingredients in a juicer until smooth.
- After juicing, give it a good stir to combine.
- Pour your juice into a serving glass and enjoy!
Sweet broccoli kale juice
You will need –
|Broccoli head (Chopped)||1/2 to 1|
|Fresh oranges (Peeled and sliced)||Two|
|Medium cucumber (Peeled and sliced)||One|
- Insert all the processed ingredients through a juicer’s feeder chute and juice.
- Serve the juice into a glass immediately and add some ice cubes to make it chill.
Broccoli apple green juice
You will need
|Organic broccoli stalks (Chopped into small chunks)||Four|
|Large sweet organic apple (Sliced into quarters)||One|
|Celery stalks (Chopped into small chunks)||Two|
|Lemon juice||4 to 5 tablespoons|
|Large kale leaves (Chopped)||Four|
- Insert all your chopped/sliced ingredients through a juicer feed chute and juice until smooth. Make sure you chop your ingredients in a suitable size so that your juicer can easily process them without implanting any strain on the motor.
- After, juicing gives it a good stir to combine.
- Finally, pour the juice into a glass. You can add some ice along with the ingredients before juicing, or you can add ice cubes after serving to give it a chill flavor.
Should you drink broccoli juice daily?
Broccoli is a natural source of Vitamin K and many other healthy nutrients. The daily consumption of broccoli juice may help you get the required amount of nutrient content in your body. Moreover, there are no harmful effects of broccoli juice if you consume a decent amount of it regularly.
However, when juicing broccoli, you may lack the required daily value of fiber content from broccoli. Therefore, if you do not receive enough fiber from other sources in your diet, you may have an unhealthy digestive system. It may lead to short and long-term health complications.
In this case, using a blender for juicing broccoli would be a good idea. The fact is, unlike juicing, blending helps to retain all parts of the veggies and fruits used. It includes fiber-containing skin and pulp also.
Does broccoli juice cause gas?
Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, and cabbage contain raffinose, a type of sugar that remains undigested until bacteria ferment it in your gut. This undigested sugar causes gas, and in turn, makes you bloat.
However, if you consume green juice regularly that contains broccoli, cabbage, kale, or any other green veggies, it can get you with enough nutrients and antioxidants, leading to a stronger digestive system that is less prone to bloating.
But keep your broccoli juice or any other green juice consumption rate in check. A decent amount of broccoli juice may not produce any gas in your gut.